Attend APHC Conference in Penang with a Rosalie Shaw Scholarship
The Asia Pacific Hospice Network has its 9th Annual Conference on July 14-17, 2011 in Penang, Malaysia.
Please note the closing date for submission of abstracts has been extended to 19 February 2011. If you have plans to apply for the scholarship, you had better submit an abstract before 19 February.
APHN Rosalie Shaw Travelling Scholarship 2011
This scholarship was created in honour of Dr Rosalie Shaw, to enable APHN members from resource-limited countries to attend the Asia Pacific Hospice Conference (APHC).
- The successful applicant will receive support up to USD1,500 to fund conference registration, travel and accommodation.
- Closing date for application: 9th April, 2011
- Application must be supported by two APHN members.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- For assistance, please contact the APHN Secretariat at email@example.com
Dr Edi Tehuteru of Jakarta, Indonesia, was the inaugural recipient of the scholarship. He shared how the experience had benefitted him:
As a paediatrician that takes care of cancer patients, I was introduced to paediatric palliative care in 2008. In 2009, with the support from “The Rosalie Shaw Travelling Scholarship”, I’m able to attend the 8th Asia Pacific Hospice Conference in Perth for the first time.
It really opened my eyes, give me a lot of inspirations, and I learned many things from this congress.
When I get back to my work, I start more seriously running the paediatric palliative care programme in my paediatric cancer ward. Our team consists of 2 paediatricians and 2 nurses. We create systems and policies that suit with our condition. For home care program, we work together with Rachel House Foundation. It’s the first foundation in Indonesia that concern in paediatric palliative care and I was appointed as the medical consultant.
Since 2010, besides focusing on children with cancer, the foundation expands their focus also on children with HIV. Paediatric palliative care is new for most of our people. That is why we still work together in socialising what is paediatric palliative care programme all about to communities and not forget the health workers.
I hope, one day the Indonesian will be more aware about paediatric palliative care and no more children have to suffer and die alone.
By Edi Setiawan Tehuteru, Recipient of the 2009 Rosalie Shaw Travelling Scholarship
– January 2011
Further details from APHN Secretary, Wei-Yee: (read below or download PDF)
We invite you to join us from 14-17 July 2011 in the beautiful island of Penang, Malaysia, for the 9th Asia Pacific Hospice Conference.
We are planning an exciting programme to celebrate the best of palliative care and the APHN, which marks its 10th anniversary this year.
Our plenary speakers include:
- Prof John Ellershaw (United Kingdom);
- Prof Malcom Fisher (Australia);
- Prof Merryn Gott (New Zealand);
- Dr Harmala Gupta (India), who will deliver the Hinohara Lecture;
- Dr Mary Cardosa (Malaysia);
- Datin Paduka Marina Mahatir (Malaysia);
- Assoc Prof Cynthia Goh (Singapore);
- Dr Rosalie Shaw (Australia); and others…
The Worldwide Palliative Care Alliance (WPCA) will also be organising a plenary session and a series of seminars.
Key dates for your diary
- 19 February 2011: Close of Abstracts Submission
- 12 March 2011: Notification of Abstracts Acceptance
- 23 April 2011: Close of Early Bird Registration
- 14 June 2011: Close of Standard Registration
- 15 June 2011: Late Registration Begins
Pre-conference workshops on 14 July 2011 are facilitated by experts. The topics include:
- Art and Science of Palliative Nursing
- Pain and Symptom Management
- Ethical Decision-Making
- Learning to Teach Palliative Medicine
- Research Forum
APHN Rosalie Shaw Travelling Scholarship
This scholarship was created in honour of our former Executive Director, Dr Rosalie Shaw, to enable APHN members from resource-limited countries to attend the Asia Pacific Hospice Conference. The successful applicant will receive support up to USD1,500 to fund conference registration, travel and accommodation. For more information on this scholarship, please visit the website at http://www.aphn.org or contact the APHN Secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on the conference, please visit the conference website at http://www.aphc2011.org or contact the Conference Secretariat at: Office +60-4-2284140 / Fax +60-4-2264676 / Email email@example.com