Trivandrum Institute of Palliative Sciences
Trivandrum Institute of Palliative Sciences (TIPS) is a World Health Organization Collaborating Centre (WHOCC) for Training and Policy on Access to Pain Relief.
TIPS is based in Trivandrum, Southern Kerala and aims to perform the following functions:
- Run a clinical service developing and operating community oriented palliative care services including service of local volunteers and home visits. It is hoped that this service will be a model for others from the region to learn from and emulate. It will give free treatment including free drugs for all poor patients (We expect more than 75% of our patients to fall into this category).
- Perform governmental advocacy with Government of India as well as with individual state governments to improve access to pain relief by
- endeavouring to ensure implementation of the amended Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act of India, namely, Narcotic Amendment Act 2014. It is hoped that the amended Act will get implemented without bringing in additional procedural barriers.
- working with the dozen palliative care centres outside Kerala, including many in north and north east of India, combine their work of palliative care delivery with state government advocacy.
- Run educational programs in Pain and Palliative Medicine for South Asia.
- Training the trainers courses for doctors and nurses
- 6 weeks course for doctors and nurses.
- 10-day foundation course for doctors
- 6 weeks course for social workers and other paramedical personnel
- 3 tier training program for volunteers.
- Short training programs for medical students.
Inpatient and Outpatient services in and around Trivandrum
|Name of the Hospital||Place and Time of Palliative Care Service|
|Pallium India, Vattappara||Outpatient and inpatient services
Outpatient: 9AM – 12noon (All days except Sundays)
|Medical College Hospital Trivandrum (in collaboration with Department of Community Medicine)||Outpatient: Room Number 121.
1PM – 5PM (All days except Sundays)
|Government General Hospital, Trivandrum||Outpatient
1PM – 4PM (on Tuesdays)
9AM-12 noon (Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays)
|Community Health Centre, Vizhinjam||Outpatient 10AM – 1PM (on Mondays)|
|Community Health Centre, Poovar||Outpatient 10 AM – 1 PM (on Thursdays)|
Other Link Centres of Pallium India
To deliver Home visit services in and around Trivandrum, we collaborate with the following community-oriented organizations, many of them catalyzed by Pallium India.
- Ebenezer Palliative Care, Peroorkada
- Nanniyode Pain & Palliative Care, Palode
- Sneha Palliative Care, Murukkumpuzha
- Rajeshwari Foundation, Jagathy
- Grama Panchayat, Azhoor
- Pallium Kulasekharam
- Sangamam Palliative Care, Uzhamalakkal
- PASS Pallium, Pallithura
- Sreeram Cancer Trust, Nagercoil
- Karunya Vishranthi Bhavan, Kattela
1. Bereavement Support Group “Unarvu” (Awakening) – This self-support group (facilitated by volunteers) meets once a month.
2. Vocational Rehabilitation Program for patients and families who are financially devastated by disease and its treatment.
3. Kuttikootam (Kids’ Kollective) – Pallium India supports education of children of patients who are under treatment by TIPS, when illness in the family may cause the children to drop out of school. Once started, the educational support continues till the formal education is completed, up to high school level. Thereafter, depending on their capability, educational support is offered including professional education. The objective is to empower them to start earning for the family, in addition to making them good citizens.
Once to thrice every year, camps are conducted where children have entertainment, extra-curricular education, vocational guidance and, when necessary, counselling.