Trivandrum Institute of Palliative Sciences
Trivandrum Institute of Palliative Sciences (TIPS) is a World Health Organization Collaborating Centre (WHOCC) for Training and Policy on Access to Pain Relief.
TIPS is based in Trivandrum, Southern Kerala and aims to perform the following functions:
- Run a clinical service developing and operating community oriented palliative care services including service of local volunteers and home visits. It is hoped that this service will be a model for others from the region to learn from and emulate. It will give free treatment including free drugs for all poor patients (We expect more than 75% of our patients to fall into this category).
- Run educational programs in Pain and Palliative Medicine for South Asia.
- 6 weeks course for doctors and nurses.
- Course for Doctors
- Course for Nurses
- 3 tier training program for volunteers.
- Short training programs for medical students.
Inpatient and Outpatient services
|Name of the Hospital||Place and Time of Palliative Care Service|
|Arumana Hospital, Perunthanni||Outpatient and inpatient servicesOutpatient: 9AM – 12noon (All days except Sundays)|
|Medical College Hospital Trivandrum (in collaboration with Department of Community Medicine)||Outpatient: 1PM – 5PM (All days except Sundays)|
|Government General Hospital, Trivandrum||Outpatient 1PM – 4PM (on Tuesdays)||Community Health Centre, Vizhinjam||Outpatient 10AM – 1PM (on Mondays)||Community Health Centre, Poovar||Outpatient 10 AM – 1 PM (on Thursdays)|
Other Link Centres of Pallium India
To deliver Home visit services in and around Trivandrum, we collaborate with the following community-oriented organizations, many of them catalyzed by Pallium India.
- Ebenezer Palliative Care, Peroorkada
- Nanniyode Pain & Palliative Care, Palode
- Sneha Palliative Care, Murukkumpuzha
- Rajeshwari Foundation, Jagathy
- Grama Panchayat, Azhoor
- Pallium Kulasekharam
- Sangamam Palliative Care, Uzhamalakkal
- PASS Pallium, Pallithura
- Sreeram Cancer Trust, Nagercoil
- Karunya Vishranthi Bhavan, Kattela
1. Bereavement Support Group “Unarvu” (Awakening) – This self-support group (facilitated by volunteers) meets once a month.
2. Vocational Rehabilitation Program for patients and families who are financially devastated by disease and its treatment.
3. Kuttikootam (Kids’ Kollective) – Pallium India supports education of children of patients who are under treatment by TIPS, when illness in the family may cause the children to drop out of school. Once started, the educational support continues till the formal education is completed, up to high school level. Thereafter, depending on their capability, educational support is offered including professional education. The objective is to empower them to start earning for the family, in addition to making them good citizens.
Once to thrice every year, camps are conducted where children have entertainment, extra-curricular education, vocational guidance and, when necessary, counselling.