Trivandrum Institute of Palliative Sciences
Trivandrum Institute of Palliative Sciences (TIPS) is a World Health Organization Collaborating Centre (WHOCC) for Training and Policy on Access to Pain Relief.
TIPS is based in Trivandrum, Southern Kerala and aims to perform the following functions:
- Run a clinical service developing and operating community oriented palliative care services including service of local volunteers and home visits. It is hoped that this service will be a model for others from the region to learn from and emulate. It will give free treatment including free drugs for all poor patients (We expect more than 75% of our patients to fall into this category).
- Run educational programs in Pain and Palliative Medicine for South Asia as collaborative programs between Pallium India and S U T Academy of Medical Sciences. The following have started:
- 6 weeks course for doctors and nurses.
Course for Doctors
Course for Nurses
- 3 tier training program for volunteers.
- Short training programs for medical students.
Current Clinical Services
- Outpatient and inpatient facilities: In collaboration with S U T Hospital, Pattom, Trivandrum, we run outpatient and inpatient palliative care service.
- We now have home visit programs covering the city of Trivandrum as well as in four rural areas in the district of Trivandrum – Venganoor, Nanniyode, Karimkulam and Murikkumpuzha. During 2006-2007, local enthusiasts have got together and formed non-government organizations to run the local palliative care programs:
- Sukrutham Palliative care center operates from Vineet Library, Muttakkad in Venganoor Panchayat.
- Nanniyode Palliative care center, Palode. The outpatient clinic is run in the local Lower Primary School on Saturdays. Home visits cover the hilly terrains where the Pallium India vehicle cannot go; so the home visits are undertaken in a hired jeep.
- Karimkulam palliative care program is based in a local convent. The home visit program here covers some of the poorest families in the area.
- Murikkumpuzha is the latest on the list, where a weekly home visit program has been launched.
- A new palliative care program in the adjoining district of Kollam (Quilon), at Chinnakada junction in the heart of city, has just taken off. This again, will work as a collaborative venture between Pallium India and the local activists