Trivandrum Institute of Palliative Sciences (TIPS) collaborates with ECHO International (Extension for Community Healthcare Outcomes) to provide palliative care education and expertise using an online platform. As part of TIPS-ECHO, we conduct sessions to enable medical professionals to inculcate the principles of palliative care in their treatment.
To train health care professionals in pain management and palliative care
M.B.B.S or B.D.S with permanent registration with medical council.
Days of the week: Wednesdays
Class Timing: 3:00 PM to 4:30 PM
To ensure adequate interaction during sessions, we will have to limit the number of participants at each course on a first-come, first-serve basis. So register quickly!
Participants need to attend all sessions. If one is unable to attend a session, due to unexpected emergency, they should watch the session videos provided and mail us back a summary of the class. Course certificate can be issued only to those who have attended minimum 80% of the sessions in person.
Course Fees: ₹3000. Payment is to be made on acceptance to the application.
Features of Online Foundation Course in Palliative Medicine
- Prescribed syllabus-oriented courses
- 1 session per week
- Pre-test and post-test for assessment
- Case Presentation by a participant in each session
- Regular assignments
- Provided with various learning materials.
- Several articles regarding subject shared
- Certificate issuance at the end based on Case Presentation, Attendance (minimum 80% required) and Assignments (needs to score minimum 70% of the total marks)
- Introduction to Palliative Care:
- Define palliative care
- Essential principles of palliative care
- Need for palliative care in regular clinical practice
- Different models of palliative care delivery
- Introduction to Pain and its management
- Classification of pain
- Assessment of pain
- Describe WHO analgesic ladder
- Principles of WHO analgesic ladder
- Describe the drugs on Step 1 and 2
- Describe adjuvant drugs
- Describe the drugs used to treat neuropathic pain
- Describe the drugs on Step 3
- Management of opioid side effects &Toxic effects
- Morphine trial
- How to deal with difficult pain.
- Medical Ethics
- Understand euthanasia va limiting futile treatment
- Describe the principles of autonomy, beneficence, non-maleficence and justice and apply them to palliative care
- Describe the doctrine of double effect
- Need of Medical communication
- Barriers to effective communication
- Steps to effective communication
- Differentiate between good and poor communication
- Develop listening skills
- Communicating bad news
- Dealing with emotion
- Dealing with collusion
- Palliative care in non-cancer illness
- Neurological disorders
- Advanced non-communicable disease
- Major psychiatric illness
- Frailty in old age
- Symptom Management
- Describe the assessment and management of Gastrointestinal Symptoms and Respiratory Symptoms
- Wound Management
- Describe the principles of prevention of pressure sores
- Management of malodor, and wound exudates
- Describe the psychosocial issues caused by a fungating wound
- Psycho-social Issues
- Describe the various psychosocial interventions in Palliative care.
- Describe the components of a psychosocial assessment
- Describe a spiritual assessment
- Describe the pharmacological and non-drug management of delirium
- Recognize the symptoms of delirium
- Describe the causes of delirium
- Palliative care emergencies
- Describe the management of major bleeding in palliative care patients
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of spinal cord compression and know how to treat and refer.
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of superior vena cava obstruction and know how treat and refer
- Organizing of Palliative Care Services
- Networking with likeminded organisations
- End of Life Care (EOLC)
- Communication with the patient and family at the end of life
- Recognize the dying process
- Describe when it is appropriate to withhold treatment
- Prescribing for end of life care
- NDPS Act & Opioid availability
How to join the session
ECHO is conducted through ZOOM application which can be downloaded (free download) from Google play store for mobile phones and direct download from internet for Windows. Download from: https://zoom.us/download
For any assistance, please contact:
For more information on this course or for any assistance, please call us at +91-6282902450 or write to us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Clinical Director: Dr. M. R. Rajagopal
Project Facilitator: Dr. Sunilkumar M. M.
Project Coordinator: Ms. Rajalekshmi Balu