Pallium India receives Consultative Status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council
Pallium India is pleased to announce that we have been granted Consultative Status (Special Category) with the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC).
The United Nations (UN) works to strengthen cooperation with accredited non-governmental organizations (NGOs) across the entire UN system and in all areas of its work. This imperative is enshrined in various official documents, which include the Millennium Development Goals of 2000, the World Summit Outcome Document, 2005, the General Assembly resolution 68/1 on strengthening of ECOSOC, 2013 and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, adopted at the Sustainable Development Summit, 2015.
ECOSOC is the main entry point for official accreditation of NGOs in the UN system. Providing NGOs with “consultative status” after a rigorous evaluation process allows ECOSOC to avail itself of expert advice from NGOs, while providing NGOs with the opportunity to consult with, express their views, and influence the work of the Council and its subsidiary bodies, such as the Commission on Narcotic Drugs and the Human Rights Council.
NGOs have specialized competence, hands-on experience and flexibility that is of great value to the UN Secretariats and all the member states.
The Consultative Status now allows Pallium India to:
- Provide member states, agencies from the Government of India, and UN secretariats with expert analysis on issues based on direct experience in the field
- Alert the same to threats and opportunities detected through our work
- Help monitor and implement international agreements
- Help raise public awareness about Palliative care
- Play a role in advancing United Nations goals and objectives
- Disseminate essential information at organizational events
ECOSOC also provides NGOs the opportunity to be heard by a truly global audience and contribute to multiple UN agencies’ agendas.
With this Consultative Status, Pallium India can:
- Attend international conferences and events
- Make written and oral statements at these events
- Organize side events
- Enter United Nations premises to consult with delegates
- Network and advocate with other NGOs with consultative status
We are honoured to join the International Association for Hospice and Palliative Care (IAHPC) and the Worldwide Hospice Palliative Care Alliance (WHPCA) who already have Consultative Status with ECOSOC.
Pallium India is committed to using this valuable status to continue advocating for equitable, comprehensive and compassionate palliative care delivery, and access to opioids for pain relief, especially for the Global South. We extend our gratitude to all our colleagues, mentors, collaborators, donors and friends for being a part of this journey with us.
And most of all to the patients and their families, who honour us with the privilege of caring for them.