Online Foundation Course in Palliative Medicine for doctors (FCPM) – ECHO
Trivandrum Institute of Palliative Sciences (TIPS), Pallium India collaborates with ECHO International (Extension for Community Healthcare Outcomes) to conduct palliative care certificate courses in India. The aim of these courses is to provide training in pain management and palliative care.
Classes Scheduled: 20 Sessions (3 sessions per week)
Start Date: 19 June 2023 (Monday)
End Date: 4 August 2023 (Friday)
Days of the week: Monday, Wednesday & Friday
Class Timing: 5:00 PM – 6:30 PM (IST)
Where: ZOOM Online
Scroll down for more information about the course.
More About this training:
Foundation Course in Palliative Medicine is an online certificate training in palliative care, to educate health care professionals, especially doctors, in pain management and palliative care.
Trivandrum Institute of Palliative Sciences (TIPS) collaborates with ECHO International (Extension for Community Healthcare Outcomes) to provide palliative care education and expertise using an online platform. As part of TIPS-ECHO, we conduct sessions to enable medical professionals to inculcate the principles of palliative care in their treatment.
M.B.B.S or B.D.S with permanent registration with medical / dental council.
(In accordance with the rules of the Dental Council of India (DCI), the holder of a BDS degree should be eligible to practise palliative care in conditions associated with the oral and maxillofacial area. Under the NDPS rules of 2015, BDS with training in pain management is adequate qualification to be in-charge of a Recognised Medical Institution (RMI) to stock and dispense Essential Narcotic Drugs (END) including morphine, methadone and fentanyl).
Number of sessions: 20
For Class timing, date and other information, view our Training Calendar:
To ensure adequate interaction during sessions, we will have to limit the number of participants at each course on a first-come, first-serve basis. So register quickly!
Participants need to attend all sessions. If one is unable to attend a session, due to unexpected emergency, they should watch the session videos provided and mail us back a summary of the class. Course certificate can be issued only to those who have attended minimum 80% of the sessions.
₹3000. Payment is to be made after completing the registration (registration link is given below).
(Please fill this form for registration. Please Keep an image (jpeg/pdf) of your Medical Council Registration and a passport size photo handy for upload as well.)
After you complete the registration, please pay the fees online:
In case of queries, write to: email@example.com
Features of Online Foundation Course in Palliative Medicine
- Prescribed syllabus-oriented courses
- Pre-test and post-test for assessment
- Case Presentation by a participant in each session
- Regular assignments
- Various learning materials will be provided
- Several articles regarding the subject will be shared
- Certificate issuance at the end based on Case Presentation, Attendance (minimum 80% required) and Assignments (needs to score minimum 80% of the total marks)
- Introduction to Palliative Care:
- Define palliative care
- Essential principles of palliative care
- Need for palliative care in regular clinical practice
- Different models of palliative care delivery
- Introduction to Pain and its management
- Classification of pain
- Assessment of pain
- Describe WHO analgesic ladder
- Principles of WHO analgesic ladder
- Describe the drugs on Step 1 and 2
- Describe adjuvant drugs
- Describe the drugs used to treat neuropathic pain
- Describe the drugs on Step 3
- Management of opioid side effects &Toxic effects
- Morphine trial
- How to deal with difficult pain.
- Medical Ethics
- Understand euthanasia va limiting futile treatment
- Describe the principles of autonomy, beneficence, non-maleficence and justice and apply them to palliative care
- Describe the doctrine of double effect
- Need of Medical communication
- Barriers to effective communication
- Steps to effective communication
- Differentiate between good and poor communication
- Develop listening skills
- Communicating bad news
- Dealing with emotion
- Dealing with collusion
- Palliative care in non-cancer illness
- Neurological disorders
- Advanced non-communicable disease
- Major psychiatric illness
- Frailty in old age
- Symptom Management
- Describe the assessment and management of Gastrointestinal Symptoms and Respiratory Symptoms
- Wound Management
- Describe the principles of prevention of pressure sores
- Management of malodor, and wound exudates
- Describe the psychosocial issues caused by a fungating wound
- Psycho-social Issues
- Describe the various psychosocial interventions in Palliative care.
- Describe the components of a psychosocial assessment
- Describe a spiritual assessment
- Describe the pharmacological and non-drug management of delirium
- Recognize the symptoms of delirium
- Describe the causes of delirium
- Palliative care emergencies
- Describe the management of major bleeding in palliative care patients
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of spinal cord compression and know how to treat and refer.
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of superior vena cava obstruction and know how treat and refer
- Organizing of Palliative Care Services
- Networking with likeminded organisations
- End of Life Care (EOLC)
- Communication with the patient and family at the end of life
- Recognize the dying process
- Describe when it is appropriate to withhold treatment
- Prescribing for end of life care
- NDPS Act & Opioid availability
How to join the session
ECHO is conducted through ZOOM application which can be downloaded (free download) from Google play store for mobile phones and direct download from internet for Windows. Download from: https://zoom.us/download
For any assistance, please contact:
For more information on this course or for any assistance, please call Sree Priya S at +91 90726 20041 or write to us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Clinical Director: Dr. M. R. Rajagopal
Project Facilitator: Dr. Sunilkumar M. M.
Project Coordinator: Ms. Rajalekshmi Balu