POLL: Is Leprosy Still a Problem?
Broadcast recently in the UK on Channel 4 foreign affairs series Unreported World, India’s Leprosy Heroes, highlighted the problem of leprosy in India. The report reveals the numbers of new cases in some areas could be much higher than previously estimated, despite the Indian Government’s claim that the disease has been eliminated.
Reporter Seyi Rhodes travelled with ‘local hero’ Vagavathali Narsappa from Shanti Nagar colony in Ranga Reddy District, Andhra Pradesh to the Niani Leprosy Hospital, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh. Along the way meeting other leprosy sufferers and confronting the stigma that surrounds the disease.
- Watch the promotional trailer
- In the UK? watch the FULL show on Youtube/4oD
- Outside the UK? listen to the podcast below [mp3]:
- Interview with local hero Vagavathali Narsappa & video report from Niani Hospital
- Interview with producer Richard Cookson & The Guardian: India’s hidden disease
So, has leprosy really been eradicated, and are we only seeing the residual problems from earlier incidence of the disease?