What does Pallium India do?
- We relieve pain and suffering associated with life-limiting diseases like cancer, HIV, paralysis etc.
- We facilitate palliative care education for professionals and public.
- We advocate for government policies and laws and for public awareness.
- We run an information centre on matters related to palliative care.
- We run the WHO Collaborating Centre for Policy and Training on Access to Pain Relief in Trivandrum.
- We conduct need-based research.
Delivery of Palliative Care Services
In and around Trivandrum
- Home visits – four teams going out all day, 5 days a week.
- In-patient facility at Arumana Hospital, Trivandrum.
- Out-patient clinics in General Hospital, Medical College Hospital, Arumana Hospital, Government Hospital Vizhinjam, Government Hospital Poovar.
- Community-based palliative care delivery in collaboration with local organizations at Peroorkada, Palode, Murukkumpuzha, Jagathy, Azhoor, Kulasekharam, Uzhamalakkal, Pallithura, Nagercoil and Kattela.
- Counselling and Vocational Rehabilitation for patients and families.
- Kuttikkoottam – educational support program for children of patients.
- Unarv – Bereavement support group.
- Foodkit program for poor patients and families.
- Physical rehabilitation including providing physical aids.
In other parts of India
Pallium India has collaborated with other organizations to develop centres in Jharkhand, Tripura, Uttar Pradesh, Manipur, Mizoram, Bihar, Orissa, Gujarat, Meghalaya, Tamil Nadu and Lakshadweep.
Please check the complete Directory of Palliative Care Centres in India.
Quality Assurance in Palliative Care
Working with national and international experts, we created the National Standards tool to ensure quality palliative care.
Volunteers are our strength
Volunteers form the backbone of Kerala’s palliative scene. Pallium India’s band of volunteers play an active role in our functioning, including:
- helping with nursing care
- administrative duties
- organizing and conducting events
- finding patients and assistance at home visits
- support in out-patient and in-patient clinics
If you wish to be a volunteer, contact us!
Facilitation of Palliative Care Education
- We develop curricula and teaching modules for medical and nursing education in India.
- We conduct courses on palliative medicine and nursing for doctors, nurses, social workers, other health care professionals. These courses are conducted directly by us in Trivandrum and collaboratively at Hyderabad, Ahmedabad and Jaipur. Please visit our Palliative Care Courses page for details.
- We train volunteers with 4 day programs at Trivandrum – 2 days in class room and 2 days in field. We conduct awareness programs in different places.
- Our collaborative project Hamrahi provides continuous mentoring support to palliative care programs.
Some of our major successes have been:
- Development of National Program for Palliative Care (NPPC) in 2012.
- Simplification of NDPS rules in 15 states in India, prior to 2013.
- Simplification of Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act of India (NDPS Amendment Act) in 2014.
- Development of Kerala’s Palliative Care Policy in 2008.
Recognizing that we can only grow with the rest of the world, we participated in international advocacy.
- We took the lead to create the Morphine Manifesto– a global initiative to improve access to immediate release oral morphine.
- We participated in creation of the Life Before Death movies.
- We work closely with many arms of the World Health Organization.
- We work with the following organizations:
- International Association for Hospice & Palliative Care
- Worldwide Palliative Care Alliance and e-hospice
- International Association for Study of Pain
- Asia Pacific Hospice Network
- American Cancer Society
- Human Rights Watch
- United States Cancer Pain Relief Committee
- Lance Armstrong Foundation
- Savitri Waney Foundation
- Wilfrid Bruce Davis Trust
- Indo-American Cancer Association
- Australasia Palliative Link International
- Cairdeas International
- Family Health International
- Care and Share, USA
- Indians for Collective Action, USA.
Public Advocacy and Sharing of Information
- Pallium India’s information centre – for queries related to palliative care service, centres, etc.
- Monthly e-newsletter in English
- Sahayatra – Monthly print magazine in Malayalam
- Pain prevalence study in collaboration with Human Rights Watch and Hyderabad Pain Relief and Palliative Care Society – in Regional Cancer Centres in Ahmedabad, Cuttack, Hyderabad and Kolkata.
- Pain-free hospital initiative in Cachar Cancer Hospital in Assam and in SGCIRI, Thakurpukur, Kolkata.
- Research projects in association with University of Aachen, Germany.
View our list of publications.
Read about Pallium India’s achievements.
What can you do?
- Be a volunteer
- Donate to us – money, medicines or equipment
- Work with us
- Visit us and see how we function
- Organize awareness programs in your area
- Learn more about palliative care
- … And much more!