Cardiff University Offers Scholarships in Palliative Care
Exciting News! The Cardiff University MSc/Diploma in Palliative Medicine is now accepting applications for its distance learning scholarship program.
Application Deadline: May 31, 2012
The University has between ten and 20 Commonwealth Scholarships to support students in India and surrounding Commonwealth countries to undertake the degree. Last year, the University successfully recruited 18 students from India who are currently studying the first year of the course. The classes take place at Karunashraya Hospice, Bangalore, India.
Download the flyer: Cardiff University Diploma -MSc Scholarships 2012 (pdf)
Apply here: Commonwealth Scholarship & MSc Course
According to Julie Rowlands, Macmillan Clinical Nurse Specialist Palliative Care and Honorary Lecturer at Cardiff University, who sent us the announcement,
“they are an excellent cohort of mainly senior doctors from a wide geographical area. Their aim is to disseminate the knowledge they gain to improve palliative care provision in their regions.”
Here is some information about the program:
- A wonderful scholarship opportunity is available for doctors and nurses in India and neighbouring Commonwealth Countries to develop their palliative care knowledge and gain a well recognised qualification from an established course (originated over 20 years ago).
- With Palliative Medicine becoming a specialty in India these scholarships are timely for doctors wishing to pursue this branch of medicine. The course would also stand doctors in good stead for completing an MD in palliative medicine.
- Our team are committed to supporting palliative care in India and in 2007 Cardiff University signed a formal Memorandum of Understanding with the Bangalore Hospice Trust to consolidate our partnership.
- The Diploma in Palliative Medicine teaches best practice in pain management, symptom control, ethics, understanding and applying research evidence and effective communication skills as well as the psychological and social care aspects of patients with life limiting disease.
- This exciting distance learning programme allows clinicians to study palliative care in the context of their own clinical practice. The MSc dissertation supports you in undertaking a unique piece of palliative care research.
- Our Indian students have identified that completing the course has increased their knowledge and skills and allowed them to develop services and educate more effectively.